Filed under: Uncategorized
April 19 2010 at 07:41AM
By Nontobeko Mtshali
With emotions still running high in Ventersdorp in the wake of the murder of AWB kingpin Eugene Terre’Blanche, the North West town has been forced to deal with another brutal farm attack.
AWB secretary-general Andre Visagie said the incident, among other issues, would be on the agenda when the organisation is due to meet Minister of Police Nathi Mthethwa on Monday morning.
“We’re dealing with a genocide here and we’re going to ask the minister how he is going to deal with this,” said Visagie.
The 50-year-old farmer, who was attacked at his farm near Ventersdorp in the early hours of on Sunday morning, was airlifted to the Netcare Milpark Hospital in Joburg and is in a serious condition.
According to ER24 spokesperson Werner Vermaak, their emergency contact centre received a call shortly after 5am.
“When paramedics arrived on the farm, they found the elderly man with multiple stab wounds to his leg and a serious fracture of his upper leg. He was also treated for multiple other bruises,” said Vermaak.
Provincial police spokesperson Lesego Metsi said the man was woken up by his barking dogs and when he went to investigate, he was confronted by three armed men in his kitchen.
A shootout ensued, but it’s understood that the farmer was not hit. Metsi said it’s unclear if any of the suspects were injured because they fled and are still at large.
He said police are investigating a case of attempted murder and attempted robbery.
“We don’t know yet if anything was taken from the house, but there was an attempt to steal the farm owner’s car,” he said.
Paramedics say the farmer’s wife and two daughters, who were in the house at the time of the attack, were unharmed.
“According to bystanders on the scene, the man’s wife and his two daughters hid away in a room. Paramedics assessed both of them and found that they were only in shock, and sustained no visible injuries,” said Vermaak.
Metsi said even though it’s the first farm attack in the Ventersdorp area since Terre’Blanche’s death, they don’t anticipate any problems.
“We know emotions are still running high, but we’re not panicking that something could happen,” he said.
This article was originally published on page 2 of The Star on April 19, 2010
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment